Friday, August 17, 2012

Oneness With Work

 
How does it happen?
I take this dried fish, your gift,
and go to the shore
and throw it into the ocean:
it rises and swims away.

- Tsukan (782-865) 

Tsukan was an early Chinese Zen master from the Tang period. He emphasised the importance of being "at onesss with work". I do not know the appropriate kanji for this but possibly it could be  無事. 

Image: 
Top: Smoked and dried fish hung out in the open at Manhari along Mahendra Rajmarg, Nepal 15 January 2011
Bottom: Grilled fish in Tokyo April 2012

1 comment:

  1. Hello,
    I am a Japanese translater and happen to look for this original poem!
    Do you know where I can find it or do you know the kanji of Tsukan?
    My email address is mari_hagihara@hotmail.com
    Thank you so much.
    Mari Hagihara

    ReplyDelete