Mariko-juku (鞠子宿 ) in Shizuoka is the twentieth of the fifty-three stations of the Tōkaidō route that extended from present day Tokyo's Nihombashi to Kyoto's Sanjo Ohashi during the Edo period. At each station travellers had to present their permits to government post stations if they wanted to cross that station. Each station also had rest areas for weary travellers.
At present day Mariko modern and hungry travellers can partake in great wholesome food at Chojiya (丁字屋 鞠子) which is well known for Tororojiru or grated yam soup. This restaurant is only 416 years old having been established in 1596. After the Battle of Sekigahara it really took off because of new system and regulations established by the new shogun, Tokugawa Ieyasu. Yams are the speciality of this rest house and the images are part of the Honjin set menu consisting of among other things, Tororojiru, rice and deep fried grated yam with tofu.
Image from top to bottom: Chojiya main entrance; seating area; part of the Honjin set menu; Tororojiru; and deep fried yam and tofu. April 2012.