Friday, April 27, 2012

Yokkaichi (四日市) Mie Prefecture (三重県)



During the Edo period Yokkaichi-juku (四日市宿 ) was the forty-third station of the Tokaido and is located in the city of Yokkaichi, Mie Prefecture (三重県), Japan. 

Yokkaichi is also known for its tea. I understand that apart from Mariko in Shizuoka, some of the first Assam seeds brought to Japan by Tada Motokichi were also propagated in Mie prefecture in Yokkaichi area. However my knowledge on this is limited and I could be entirely wrong. Someone may have to confirm this.

Yamanaka san who is a friend of my friend Hotta san of Aichi was gracious to receive us and show me his organic tea farm and share his tea knowledge with me. Whether you live in a ultra modern, super developed country like Japan or a struggling backward and primitive one like Nepal, it seems to me that we all have the same issues!

Image: Yamanaka san's neat rows of rounded tea bushes at Yokkaichi. April 2012.

No comments:

Post a Comment